Sunday, June 23, 2013

Happy 486th Anniversary, Jakarta!

Jakarta. A big, giant and crowded city. Not everyone wants to work or live here. Well, at least that's what some people told me when I was going to move to Jakarta. They just can't stand with the traffic jam, the long hours they spent on streets, the living cost, etc. etc. etc.

But I have my own opinion. I loooovvvveeee this city. Like... a lot! What's not to love? You can find everything here. Hope, opportunity, food, lifestyle, culture, and a lot more. You just have to find your own tricks to survive. 

To survive Jakarta, you need a strategy, which consists of plans. Plan A, B, C maybe until Z. Like where you want to stay, a house or apartment, how you're going to reach your office, what job that suits you or your lifestyle. Because that's going to determine what you're gonna through everyday. 

So you already have a strategy with lots of plans. Does that mean things will go the way you've planned? Of course not! Haha. This is why, you need to be creative. You have to improvise your plan each time your plans are not working. You're late catching up your train so you have to take the different one. Should I go to Tebet or Manggarai? Should I use metro mini or just hop in a cab? It feels like being in an episode of Amazing Race. Anyhow, it keeps your brain thinking. And I love it when I made the right decision. 

Jakarta also taught you to be a quick decision maker. Because this city can't wait. Some decisions should be made in minutes maybe seconds. A wrong decision can make you stuck in traffic jam for hours. Life is a series of decision making anyway... But this city requires you to make it fast. If you see an opportunity, even the tiniest, slightest one, grab it. Grab it fast. 

But we're only human, and to err is human. Sometimes we made the wrong decisions. Then you should be brave to take the consequences. Deal with it, bear with it and be strong. This is a tough city by the way, so bravery is highly needed. 

I'm glad I have this opportunity, living in this crowded city. Jakarta has it flaws but it taught me survival skills. So... what's not to love? :)) 

Happy 486th Anniversary, Jakarta! 

No comments: